Thursday 29 March 2018

Don't let your 3D prints get exposed to the harsh Aussie Sun...

Well lesson learnt! Whilst waiting for the varnish on the roof of this print to dry the harsh 28 degree Aussie sun warped it!!! It drove me mad with this minor imperfection.  DONT LEAVE YOUR PRINTS IN THE SUN!

After trying boiling water and a hairdryer I couldnt restore it.  I decided to sand it flat and the roof now sits flush again but if you look carefully you can see the warping in the roof!

The print is from 3D Print Terrain and is from their Italy/Spain kickstarter.  I upscaled it to 127% for 1/56 wargaming.

I textured the print with sand.

I started sanding the roof flat and you can see the warping when the paint was removed!

After sanding, looks nice and flat again, you can notice the warping if you look carefully.


The warping is very noticeable here!

I was most impressed with just how durable this thing is.  I bashed the crap out of it, bent it, twisted it and handled it heavily.  Not one bit of paint chipped or flaked off during this process.  Safe to say Rustoleum is an exceptionally good primer. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, I can’t really see a problem here. Imho it actually adds some character to an otherwise a little bland building.

    ReplyDelete