Thursday 22 March 2018

A Normandy Terrace and a Field

I have made some terrain over the past week.  I finally put together my Knights of Dice Letters Home Normandy Terrace 1.  This is a great kit however I am not a fan of MDF.  I find it fiddly and awfully time consuming.  It is fairly fragile too in comparison to a 3D Print.  You can get some great stuff in MDF and I still have much to build however I am a complete 3D Printing convert for buildings.  I rather get a file, slice it and go and do other things with my time than build a MDF kit... but thats just me.

I do want to give some praise to Knights of Dice though, their owner Vivek is committed and passionate about his kits and for MDF they are absolute top quality.

The Knights of Dice assembled kit next to a 20mm WW2 3D printed
terrace by 3D Print Terrain (I went all in on their kickstarter)

Base coated, I used Rustoleum Texture Paint for the sides.
I also built an experimental field using some canvas and acrylic caulk.  I got the idea from Wargaming With Silver Whistle and his Book Setting the Scene.  It was pretty straight forward and now I know how to apply his techniques I intend on making more of these scatter pieces of terrain.

caulk terrain tile
The canvas caulked and dusted with sand

acrylic caulk terrain
Primed brown, coffee grains for soil, drybrushed and vegetation added.
I did a quick unedited photo shoot with the field and the Terrace together with some members of the 101st Airborne Division.

WW2 Normandy Terrace
The Terrace and the field

Knights of Dice Letters Home Normandy
I like things heavily weathered and dirty

Wargame WW2 Terrace Normandy
Knights of Dice Letters Home Normandy Terrace 1

WW2 Normandy Terrace

The acrylic caulk field, needs to be flattened out a bit more

101st Airborne Photoshoot

101st Airborne Miniatures
Offensive Miniatures 28mm US Airborne Paratroopers

Offensive Miniatures Paratroopers


28mm US Airborne Paratroopers Normandy

Offensive Miniatures Elite






8 comments:

  1. Looks great! The original MDF kit doesn't look to shabby either. The only thing I can't stand with MDF modern buildings is the lack of roof tiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I considered cutting up some thin card board and making some tiles, it would look great but I really just wanted to get this done.

      Delete
  2. Superb looking terrain and the para's are the icing on the cake. I am a bit of a dinosaur with the 3D printing but the building looks very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, I am going to have to make more of those mini terrain mats

      Delete
  3. Brilliant!

    I especially like that use of Rustoleum !

    ReplyDelete