Wednesday 15 January 2020

Twenty Twenty - Blog update and Ramble

It has been almost six months since I last posted.  I haven't been active on this blog however saying this I have still been doing hobby.  I feel at times that blogging takes some effort and I really should pull my finger out and post some more! I felt really burnt out after finishing the La Haye Sainte Box Set.  It really was an epic achievement, a 100% completed project, and it will be featured in an upcoming unannounced book release. 

I have given the blog a slight overhaul, I have removed some irrelevant labels and added some of my more popular labels as a type of menu at the top of the blog.

Contact Front Ruleset


Speaking of books, a big highlight for me was being a contributing artist to Gods Eye Games Contact Front.  This is a Modern Warfare Ruleset by the talented Carl Titterington.  Check it out here .
For more information about the ruleset listen to a podcast here about it.  I have played the ruleset and it is terrific fun! I did a professional shoot with Bryan Cook and we achieved some terrific results.  Bryan and I also did a most impressive photo shoot for the La Haye Sainte Box set.

Contact Front Rules Set
The Photo shoot with Bryan for Contact Front

Contact Front Rules Set
A professional touch

La Haye Sainte Collector's Edition Professional Photo Shoot

Fantasy 


I have been painting loads of fantasy, some highlights would be the TTCombat Halflings from their kickstarter and some Wargames Atlantic Hard Plastic multi-part halflings.  I have also been painting some other random fantasy figures.  

ttcombat Halflings
A small warband of TTCombat Halflings for Rangers of Shadow Deep

TTCombat Halfling Building
A TTCombat Halfling Building for Rangers of Shadow Deep

zombie giant, ttcombat halflings, massive darkness orc
Zombicide, Zombie Giant, Giant, TTCombat Halfling and a Massive Darkness Orc

Wargames Atlantic Halflings, Plastic Halflings
Wargames Atlantic Multi-part Plastic Halflings

A return to 20mm WW2 and some 20mm Moderns


Although the majority of my miniatures are 28mm I have really warmed to 20mm again.  The main attraction is storage! I can store so much more and pack so much more in.  All of my moderns are in 20mm and the Elhiem miniatures range for moderns is simply fantastic.  I will be painting up some more for the Contact Front Special Forces supplement.  Another note on why 20mm is really nice is that I can 3D Print so much for it in a fraction of the time.

Elhiem Miniatures Australian SAS
Some Elhiem 20mm Australian SAS 
I have blown the dust off my 20mm WW2 Normandy Project.  After my frustrations and disappointment with MDF kits, mainly due to mold and being ridiculously over-sized, I have sold off what I have and will only stick to 3D prints.  There is an overwhelming size difference between a 28mm and a 20mm Normandy terrace for example.  Check out my post here.  Also that MDF terrace has been thrown out sadly due to mold growing!  It was also a pain to store.  Stay tuned for some 20mm WW2 goodness.  

Solo Wargaming

I really haven't played many games recently with others.  I have felt a little bit withdrawn socially lately.  To be fair its got nothing to do with others, its just something I have been trying to deal with myself.  I am more open to playing with people I know in a nice private environment as opposed to being at a Games Club for example.  I really want to reconnect with the regulars I game with this year.  This aside, to keep that feeling of rolling dice, I have been playing lots of solo games, whether its card games, board games or wargames.

I have been playing Rangers of Shadow Deep which is a brilliant fantasy ruleset where you take a warband on adventures for one or co-operative with a friend. I have only played it solo and I love it.  I will keep adding to my ever growing fantasy collection for this game.

With the release of the Frostgrave Solo Supplement, Perilous Dark, I have been playing lots of Frostgrave Solo which has got me thinking.  I am currently in the process of writing my own Solo Campaign for Frostgrave and currently play testing it, I like the direction it is taking, it will take me a while but I will invite others for some play testing soon.  

Writing

I would like to improve my writing skills and I have been keeping a notebook of ideas.  My priority is to get out my Frostgrave Solo campaign which will be a PDF for all to download, but I also have some ideas for Rangers of Shadow Deep, Bolt Action Solo mechanics and my own unique ruleset for a Solo Sci-Fi Skirmish game.  I got so many ideas, I just need to commit them to something!  This will take me some time but its something I would really like to do.

The Way Forward

I am not really going to set hobby goals for this year but what I can tell you is that I will be working on 20mm WW2 and Moderns, loads of Fantasy, 28mm Sci-Fi, Old/Middlehammer, Napoleonics or whatever I feel like! I like having the freedom of not having to paint up an army with a deadline for a tournament or something.  Whatever I fancy goes!

I tweet regularly about what I am up to and working on. https://twitter.com/LefthandedPanzr 

Thanks

Dave

4 comments:

  1. Nice to see your progress 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing what you get up to in 2020 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back mate - sorry we wont see you at CanCon.
    Just started my own Twitter and now following you

    ReplyDelete