Thursday 31 May 2018

State of my Hobby Time - May 2018

I thought I would write a quick ramble post of where things are at as of 31 May 2018.

On the right (web version) of the blog you will see a table for Miniatures received and Miniatures painted for this calendar year.  I have now received well over 1200 figures this year which contrasts extremely with only painting nearly 200 miniatures this year.  Saying that I have the finishing touches to go on 16 more miniatures.  My aim is to get to 500 painted miniatures by the end of this year.

Lets review my goals set out in January this year.

  • Project Waterloo
  • 28mm Napoloenics in other Campaigns
  • Expanding on all my current WW2 Armies in 28mm
  • Expanding my neglected WW2 Project in 20mm
  • Painting more boardgame minis
  • Reduce my horde of figures
  • Terrain terrain terrain! Something I need more of
  • paint more minis, paint lots of minis, paint more minis

Now lets break this down...

Project Waterloo

Breaks have been put on this one like most of my projects however it is far from neglected.  I am actually assembling some British Line Infantry.  I am also putting some finishing touches on the sand pit from the Warlord Games La Haye Sainte Box Set.  



28mm Napoleonics in other Campaigns

Most keen to get some more Austrians done and I also want to do up some British Sailors so I can have some troops for the Peninsula Campaign.


Expanding on all my current WW2 Armies in 28mm

I have painted a few Poles and Winter Germans.  I plan on painting more of these and also returning to my DAK project as they make their tabletop debut this weekend!  I also want to paint up some more Fallschirmjager.


Expanding my neglected WW2 Project in 20mm

This is happening... proof...



Painting more boardgame miniatures

I have painted a boatload of Zombicide figures.  I want to paint more and more as I have this horrible OCD that I can not play with unpainted figures!


Reduce My Horde of Figures

OK lets address the elephant in the room... now the reason why I am well over 1200 miniatures acquired for this year is 2 things... First things first Kickstarters.  Zombicide Green Horde had a lot of figures for it! It was a brilliant kickstarter and tremendous value for money.  I also have a Song of Ice and Fire kickstarter arriving in August and no more for the year (very proud of myself).  Also dont forget I got a boatload of Napoleonic Figures from Warlord Games at an incredible deal back in February!

Secondly I have a couple of secret projects on the go that I have already painted some figures for yet I haven't published any pictures of them yet on any social media platform.  I want to commit to the project and show case some stuff to generate more interest and show a return on my investment. Stay tuned.



Terrain terrain terrain! Something I need more of and paint more minis, paint lots of minis, paint more minis

I merged these two goals together.

I am currently 3D printing terrain nearly everyday for my projects.  July is going to be a huge month for me. I will have my first bit of leave from work for the year and a much deserved rest.  Usually I go to the UK at this time of year however only the Mrs is going this time so that gives me the whole house to myself!  This is going to be great as I am going to have a horrible and busy June at work and I just want it over and wish to reward myself with hobby!

In July I am going to turn the house into a hobby workshop and try and smash out lots of terrain and painted figures.  My 3D printer will be running nearly 24/7!

A new Short Term Goal

I really want to get playing Frostgrave and I know some people that are keen too.  I am currently 3D printing and painting up some terrain for it and just need to paint a few more figures for it.  I want to get some terrain finished so I can fill a 3 x 3 table.  Lets hope I get this done!

So thanks for tuning in and as always, big big big plans are ahead and I am glad I am actually getting things done.

Dave.





2 comments: