Sunday 28 January 2018

My Waterloo - Picking the scale and doing it in 28mm

Undoubtedly one of the most popular eras for War Gaming is The Battle of Waterloo.  It was one of the most famous battles of all time and even non gamer types have heard of it.  Even here in Australia we have pubs, streets and even suburbs named after the famous battle... so I'm doing it!


Some Complementary Music if you are so brave...



Scale

Well wasn't this a contention for debate for myself!  It came down to two choices although I did explore more!  18mm by AB Figures and Campaign Game Miniatures or 28mm with a huge choice of figures.  For once I think I can say 28mm is the winner for scale when it comes to Napoleonic gaming (danger zone for saying that, ducks for cover!) and in particular Waterloo thanks to the Perry Miniatures range, Victrix and Warlord Games, obviously there are a lot more however this choice is always up for debate!
18mm AB Figures - Lovely

18mm CGM KGL/British Infantry Retrieved from their Website

Now these chaps look all well and good but... they are so small and I love details in my figures which these chaps have.  I really wanted the mass look and to save space so this really put me at a cross roads as I wanted them however I know some guys in my gaming group that do Waterloo and Napoleonics in general in 28mm! Essentially no one I know has Napoleonics in 18mm/15mm let alone Waterloo.

As previously mentioned there are some great ranges in 28mm and I am a massive fan of Perry and Warlord so the decision was made for me and now I am going to commit to it, 28mm it is.

Luckily Warlord Games sent me an awesome deal for every 50 quid I spent I get a free Black Powder box set.  As I had been eyeing off La Haye Sainte Collectors edition, well this happened!!!

Lots and lots and lots and lots... of figures! Tremendous value!

Wow! That is going to keep me busy.  A whole play set and 6 yes 6 boxes for free! :)  I have heard mixed reviews about Victrix figures however some of the poses and interchangeability with the Perry Plastics was to good to pass up on so I got a horde of them incoming and you can't beat Victrix for value. I do like some variety on the table and I have really warmed to the Warlord Figures too.  After assembling some of the Polish Vistula Legion they go together quickly and are simple to paint and I expect this too with their British Line Infantry.

I want to represent Hougoumont and La Haye Sainte on the table.  I have upgraded the gaming facilities at LHP HQ to an 8 x 6 table with the approval of Mrs LHP.  I will not be playing the entire battle obviously, just lots of the engagements that happened on the day.  I am not too fused about capturing every single little detail etc etc and dont want long dragged out games that take whole days to complete so I figured minor engagements in 28mm is the best way for me to set out what I want to achieve.

Rules

I really want to play Warhammer Historical Waterloo after recently aquiring the book and reading it cover to cover.  My good friend and rival Murray also just picked this up! -  not to mention he also go the La Haye Sainte Collectors set :) 



I will not be limiting myself to this set of rules, I'm keen to try Blackpowder and some Sharp Practice 2.  I wouldn't even mind getting some solo play in at some stage.

Test Figure

As mentioned I want to play out some Hougoumont.  The Coldstream Guards were there and so I thought I would be different and paint one of them up first.  My Perry's will be representing these chaps as the defence of Hougoumont really suits their poses.  Again another decision for 28mm is they just look so damn good.  

28mm Perry Miniatures British Line Infantry
28mm British Line Infantry - Perry Miniatures

28mm Coldstream Guards Waterloo
Coldstream Guards - Battle of Waterloo

28mm British Line Infantry Waterloo


This is going to be a project that is going to take years! Yes years! I can do it at my own pace and slowly add to it... and yes I will be painting some French (I thought I would never say that).

Stay tuned...

Arthur would most certainly challenge me to a duel if he saw this

No comments:

Post a Comment